Safety Alert - Fridge Fiasco
Common Areas in the Workplace
There are a number of areas that we share with coworkers on a regular basis; these may include kitchens, loos, lounges, smoking areas, and job-site trailers. A little messiness here and there can lead up to some big problems with significant unintended consequences. Unsanitary kitchen and loo practices can lead to harmful bacteria being transmitted in a number of ways. If left unclean, refrigerators can host e. coli, staphylococcus and even listeria. It’s critically important to determine how these spaces will be cared for and to establish some rules for their use as well.
Do you have similar safety risks in your workplace?
- Are there common areas within your business?
- Are there spaces within your facility that employees share responsibility in keeping clean?
- Have there been times when common areas were overdue for a cleaning?
What action can you take to maintain common areas within the workplace.
- Establish a cleaning schedule to keep common areas clean.
- Assign a third party to handle cleaning responsibilities or establish a schedule and assign specific employees if handling internally.
- Create a cleaning checklist to ensure that specific tasks are performed.
- Make the necessary materials and equipment available for cleaning.
- Conduct a periodic evaluation of cleanliness to ensure that expectations are being met.